Two weeks of warm weather hasn’t done much to defrost trails at Mount Rainier National Park, but there are still places to get in a hike or check out wildflowers.
Paradise on the south side of the mountain is setting records for August snow depth. On Aug. 7, it recorded 44 inches of snow, surpassing the record of 40 inches set in 1974. The snow depth has been above record levels ever since.
“If you’re going to have snow, you might as well set records,” said ranger Davis Root. “People are still surprised how much snow we have at Paradise.”
As of Aug. 9, Paradise reported 907 inches of snow for 2011, one of its top five snow years, according to the blog maintained by the park’s climbing rangers. The snowline is just below Paradise at about 5,000 feet, Root said, but there are still hazards on many trails.
Disrupting the Borg is expensive and time consuming!
- Climate Scientists Conversing
- “Yes, Antarctic sea ice is melting faster than ever before”
- Prayers For Caesar
- “wettest day on record”
- Scientific American Wants To “jeopardize rain and crops”
- October 14 Eclipse
- Not A Billion Dollar Disaster
- 1,039 New Coal Fired Power Plants
- Please Enter The Boxcar Peacefully
- Forecasting Climate Change
- The Miracle Of Life
- Toto’s Announcement
- The Safe Climate Of 1903
- The Manchurian Billionaire
- Left Wing Hero Of 2014
- Erasing The Hiatus
- Journalism Past Its Final Decades
- Assessing Government Climate Agencies
- Rapidly Changing Climate
- 100 Fifteen Minute Cities
- The World Began In 1981
- Some Carbon Is More Equal
- Dangerous Assault Rifle
- Climate Expert Zelensky
- Tropical Heat Of August/September 1895
Email SubscriptionJoin 1,923 other subscribers
Chris Barron on Climate Scientists Conversing John Williams on Prayers For Caesar Kent Clizbe on Scientific American Wants To… Morgan Wright on Scientific American Wants To… TimC on Please Enter The Boxcar Peacef… Disillusioned on Forecasting Climate Change Walter on 4-9 Degrees Warming At The Gre… Bob Greene on Dangerous Assault Rifle Morgan Wright on Scientists Are Alarmed vuurklip on Government To Save Us From Glo…